Friday, November 7, 2014
In a week from today, we will be celebrating the life of Charlotte Baker - in a worship service in Dallas. (Please come if you can - we will worship into the night just as she would want us to!) One of the things I am most grateful to her for, is her vision for the restoration of the arts...not just to have arts restored to the Church, but to see arts restored to worship and the prophetic realm. All this to say how much I have always loved the poetry of Bonnie Saul Wilks. Take a moment today to meditate on these words and draw near to the Lord. Bonnie always takes us on such a sublime journey...stay a while…linger in this one thought:
One Thought Alone
Mortality and eternity
Pull me at once
In opposite directions.
I am indentured and indebted, living in realtime
And heavenly seasons. I am a soldier and princess at once, waging war and dancing before my King.
But one day I'll let
Go this world in its
Decay and corruption to
Fly through golden skies
Awash with Angels with
Sounding silver trumpets
With one thought alone--
To see His face
To kiss His hands
To bury my headIn His riven side
Thursday, November 6, 2014
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
I have been meditating on some of David's key heart attitudes in Psalm 27:4 for several years - he spoke about dwelling in the house of the Lord, and I wanted to look at the places where David set his heart to make a dwelling place.
I wanted to point out that the Hebrew word for "dwell" (yashab) is not some temporary abode - it means to set, sit, remain and stay in a place. To be still.
If you just look at the psalms of David, you can hear his cry to dwell in the presence of God. Look at this progression through the Psalms – the places where David decided in his heart to dwell – we see a progression from his desire to dwell in safety right through to his desire for the secret place(s) of God’s presence.
1. David wanted to dwell in a place of safety - Psalm 4:8 I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.
2. David wanted to dwell in God’s holy hill – Psalm 15:1 Lord, who may abide in Your tabernacle? Who may dwell in Your holy hill?
3. David wanted to dwell in the house of the Lord forever - Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.
Psalm 27:4 One thing I have desired of the Lord, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord, And to inquire in His temple.
Psalm 84:4 Blessed are those who dwell in Your house; They will still be praising You. Selah
4. David wanted to dwell in the land that the Lord provided – Psalm 37:3 Trust in the Lord, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
Psalm 37:29 The righteous shall inherit the land, And dwell in it forever.
5. David wanted to dwell in the courts of the Lord – Psalm 65:4 Blessed is the man You choose, And cause to approach You, That he may dwell in Your courts. We shall be satisfied with the goodness of Your house, Of Your holy temple.
6. David wanted to dwell in Zion – the place of God’s presence and Judah – the place of praise - Psalm 69:35 For God will save Zion And build the cities of Judah, That they may dwell there and possess it.
7. David wanted to dwell in the secret place of God’s presence – Psalm 91:1 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
Psalm 91:9 Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place, (see also Moses’ prayer: Ps. 90:1)
Psalm 101:6 My eyes shall be on the faithful of the land, That they may dwell with me; He who walks in a perfect way, He shall serve me.
Saturday, November 1, 2014
I have been meditating this evening on the way that King David sought the Lord. Although he was a great sinner, his heart was made soft as He sought the Lord throughout his life
David sought 7 things in the Psalms:
1. To dwell in the house of the Lord - Ps. 27:4
2. To behold the beauty of God - Ps. 27:4
3. To inquire of, or study God’s presence - Ps. 27:4
4. To see the face of God - Ps. 27:8
5. To find fellowship with God - Ps. 63:1
6. To find the wisdom and instructions of the Lord – Ps. 119:45
7. To do whatever was best for Jerusalem – Ps. 122:9
Proverbs 8:17 I love those who love me, And those who seek me diligently will find me.
Isaiah 55:6 Seek the Lord while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near