Tuesday, February 28, 2012
7 Things To Help You Walk Into Holiness
Here are 7 things that will give you faith and courage to walk away from sin. God calls us to:
Be holy for I am holy
This seems like an impossibility, but the Lord would never ask us to do something if it was impossible. These are just a few things that might make sense to you as you seek to be more and more like Him:
1. We need to understand what happened when we were saved and baptized. We were buried with Christ when we were baptized - we must remember that we are a new person:
Romans 6:1-6 Read all these verses, but here is verse 6 (NLT) Our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin.
2. We need to present ourselves (body, soul and spirit) as a living sacrifice before the Lord - each day:
Romans 12:1 (Message) So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday life - your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life - and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for Him.
3. We need to repent quickly if we do slip up. It is important to know that holiness is not so dependent on a flawless record, but a cleansed life. The longer we live with sin, the harder it is to walk away from it:
1John 1:8-9 (Message) If we claim that we're free of sin, we're only fooling ourselves. A claim like that is errant nonsense. On the other hand, if we admit our sins - make a clean breast of them - he won't let us down; he'll be true to himself. He'll forgive our sins and purge us of all wrongdoing.
4. We need to recognize that our old lives are dead - we have the greatest hiding place ever - we are hidden in Christ and are safe from our old ways and temptations if only we could completely depend on Him:
Colossians 3:3 (Message) Your old life is dead. Your new life, which is your real life - even though invisible to spectators - is with Christ in God. He is your life.
5. We need to have a heart of integrity - God watches over those who act with integrity and will save them from sin. In Genesis 20 God kept Abimelech from sin because of his innocent heart:
Genesis 20:6 (NLT) "Yes, I know you are innocent," God replied. "That is why I kept you from sinning against me; I did not let you touch her.
6. We need to become serious about the areas of our lives and character that are prone to failure. We all have weaknesses, but we don't have to give in to those weaknesses. Job made a covenant with his eyes, that he would not look lustfully on a woman:
Job 31:1 (NLT) I made a covenant with my eyes not to look with lust upon a young woman.
7. We need to be worshipers - One of the greatest truths of worship is that we will become more and more like the one we look at and worship. Change is not a one-time event, but a process that results from worshiping and beholding Him again and again. We can be transformed into the same image as our holy God:
2 Corinthians 3:18 (NKJV) But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
How interesting that He calls us glorious - even in our present (unholy) state. The Lord is patient with us as we go on this journey into holiness.