Monday, April 23, 2012
7 Things - Seeking God
Here are seven keys for seeking God:
1. Seek Him with all your heart and soul
Jer. 29:13 And you will seek Me, and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
Also: Deut. 4:29; 2Chr. 15:12–13,
2. Seek Him when He is Near
Is. 55:6 Seek the Lord while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near
3. Seek Him through fasting
2Chr. 20:3–4 And Jehoshaphat feared, and set himself to seek the Lord, and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah. So Judah gathered together, to ask help from the Lord; and from all the cities of Judah they came to seek the Lord.
4. Seek Him early
Ps. 63:1 O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You, my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land, where there is no water.
5. Seek Him through prayer
Zech. 8:22 Yes, many people and strong nations shall come to seek the Lord of hosts in Jerusalem, and to pray before the Lord.
6. Seek Him diligently
Prov. 8:17 I love those who love me; and those who seek me diligently will find me.
Hebr. 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek him.
7. The Zacchaeus principle—Run, climb higher, look
Luke 19:3–4 And he sought to see who Jesus was; and could not because of the crowd, for he was of short stature. So he ran ahead, and climbed up into a sycamore tree to see Him, for He was going to pass that way.
Four things hinder us from coming up higher:
• Handicaps—he was short. Natural disadvantages
• Obstacles—the crowd. Even those who mean well can drain us. We can lose focus on the Lord if we spend too much time with people – not that we shouldn’t be with people, but don’t let them rob you of your personal time with God
• Appearances—his reputation as a tax collector.
• Opportunities—the timing of Jesus' visit. He had to respond - Opportunities have a lifetime. If we wait too long, the time can pass for us to move